Please complete the steps in order:
- FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- GENERAL APPLICATION
- ADDITIONAL PAPERWORK
- AWARD LETTER
- GRANTS & SCHOLARSHIPS
- ACCEPTING STUDENT LOANS
- ENTRANCE INTERVIEW
- FUTURE FINANCIAL AID
- BACTERIAL MENINGITIS VACCINATION REQUIRED>
Apply for Admission to U. T. Permian Basin. You do have to be accepted and registered for classes to receive funds.
2 FAFSA (Click here to go to FAFSA Website) Our school code is 009930
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the correct year and semester(s) that you plan to attend. Don't forget to include U. T. Permian Basin's school code 009930. When completing the FAFSA, the tax return should be completed, but does not have to be submitted to the Internal Revenue Service yet. However, using estimated data does delay processing. If you plan to fill out a Special Circumstance Form, Dependent Care Form, or Dependency Status Change Form, you should make an appointment with the Office of Financial Aid BEFORE you submit the FAFSA. Allow 3-5 weeks processing time for electronic submission of the FAFSA, and 4-6 weeks for paper submission by mail.
When your FAFSA has been processed, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) in the mail, or through email. The SAR is your copy of the results of the FAFSA. You do not need to bring it to the Office of Financial Aid. We will receive an electronic copy from the processing center. As soon as your SAR arrives in the mail, READ IT COMPLETELY! It may contain important information regarding corrections and/or additional required documents. If you need to make corrections, do so immediately and mail your SAR back to the processing center. You must then wait until the corrections are processed, and another SAR will be mailed to you in 2-3 weeks. Thirty percent of all applicants are selected for a process called Verification. If you are selected you will be notified in your SAR. If there are no corrections needed on your SAR, simply keep it for your records.
3. GENERAL APPLICATION
It is recommended to complete a General Financial Aid Application for each year you attend. New applications can be completed each year you attend and wish to receive financial assistance. This form is available each November 1st, and is used for the Next Academic Year. These forms may be accessed under 'Forms' on the navigation bar to the left.
4. ADDITIONAL PAPERWORK
Notify the Office of Financial Aid (432-552-2620) when you have received and read your SAR. A Financial Aid Representative will then confirm whether or not additional documents are required to make your file complete. Documents that may be required include:
- Verification Worksheet
- Signed Copy of Student's Tax Return
- Signed Copy of Parent's Tax Return
- Social Security Information
- INS/Citizenship Status Information
- Selective Service Registry Information
U.T. Permian Basin forms may be accessed under "Forms" on the navigation bar to the left.
5. AWARD LETTER
When your Financial Aid file is complete, you should receive an Award Letter. Please read your Award Letter completely. The letter will show the type and amount of aid awarded for the Fall and Spring semesters. (Summer aid is not generally awarded until March). Awards are based on full-time attendance in the terms listed and may be adjusted based on your enrollment status for each term. Awarded Grants and Scholarships will be complete. To receive a Stafford Loan, additional paperwork is required (see step 8). Work-study assistance can be awarded but the student must first find a position on campus to receive work-study funds. If you believe that your Award Letter is overdue, please contact the Office of Financial Aid (432-552-2620). You also may check on your award through Campus Connect.
6. GRANTS & SCHOLARSHIPS
If your Award Letter states that you were awarded a Pell Grant or Scholarship, you do not need to complete any additional paperwork to receive it. Provided that you have registered for classes, the funds will be applied automatically to any fees you owe the University. If any funds remain after your fees are paid, you will receive a residual check for the remaining amount (available in the Office of Accounting) approximately 2 weeks after classes begin. Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid to find out if your check is ready. Should the Grant and/or Scholarship not cover the total amount of your fees, you are responsible for paying the balance.
7. Accepting Student Loans: To accept a Stafford loan the student must:
- Complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at https://studentloans.gov. The student will need you Department of Education issued FAFSA PIN # in order to log in to this web site. If you do not remember your pin, you can request a duplicate pin by going to www.pin.ed.gov to have your PIN shown to you there or sent to you via e-mail or snail mail.
- Complete the loan acceptance form and submit it to The Office of Student Financial Aid at UTPB. This form is also available in the financial aid office.
IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING DISBURSEMENT: Federal regulations require that all loans be disbursed as follows:
- For loans covering two semesters, one disbursement will be made at the beginning of each semester.
- For loans covering only one semester, two disbursements will be made (one at the beginning of the semester and one after the mid-point of the semester.)
- Students with a first-time Stafford Loan may not pick up loan checks until 30 days after the first class day, provided that all required documents have been turned in. (This additional waiting period does not apply to PLUS Loans.)
Tentative Disbursement Dates are listed for your convenience.
8. ENTRANCE INTERVIEW You MUST complete the Online Entrance Interview prior to receiving any loan funds. Completing the Entrance interview alone will not accept your loans.
9. FUTURE FINANCIAL AID In order to receive financial aid in subsequent years, you must complete a FAFSA renewal and/or a new general application annually. Other forms pertinent to your situation (i.e. Hazlewood, Special Circumstance, Scholarships, etc.) must be re-submitted annually as well.
10. BACTERIAL MENINGITIS VACCINATION REQUIRED> >Effective January 1, 2012, all new students and those who are returning after a one semester absence and under the age of 30 will be required to show evidence that they have received the bacterial meningitis vaccination or eligible for an exemption prior to enrolling. The vaccination dose or booster must be during the five-year period preceding and at least 10 days prior to the first day of class or prior to moving into on-campus housing (whichever is applicable). Students taking online courses only (no on-campus based courses) are not required to have the vaccination. Send evidence of the vaccination or qualified exemption to UTPB Admissions, 4901 E University Blvd, Odessa, TX 79762.>
Questions (e-mail to a financial aid representative)